Saturday, September 27, 2008

Here we go...


First of all...DON'T SEND ANYTHING TO THE ADDRESS I POSTED! It's not complete and they didn't tell me that. I would put the correct address up right now, but I forgot to bring the sheet of paper with me :( Things have been going very well over here. I love it so much I don't want to leave! I will come back though so don't freak out.


So I didn't end up going on the pub tour on Wednesday due to financial reasons. Things are way too expensive over here (I know I've said that a lot already but I can't get over it). So that day I think a bunch of us cooked dinner and watched Superbad instead.


I've been going into town a lot due to the million stores that are over there. I've probably been into town 50 times already, and there are so many little shops that you just don't notice at all (and sometimes those are the best ones). I've been looking for gifts to bring people back at home, but I don't really know what to get. I still have plenty of time to figure that out though.


On Thursday I had another class entitled "The American Dream". Hopefully I ace that class, but it does seem very interesting to study the American dream according to a foreigner's perspective. The first assignment we were given was to read the MLK speech "I have a dream". There are 2 decent size papers that I have to write too, but that should be easy seeing that I love writing.


I'm going to see Wicked in London! I bought my ticket for November 8. I'm so excited, and it will be so funny to listen to their accents in the production. Some friends and I also found this flyer with a bunch of plays/musicals etc. going on at the Marlowe theatre so we are going to see a few shows over there too since it's about a 15 minute walk from where I live.


Thursday we also went into town, and I made a friend with a hobo. We stopped for lunch at this baquette place, and there was this poor man digging through garbage looking for food. I was like 15 feet away and eating chips (fries), but I wasn't going to finish them so I asked if he wanted the rest. He gobbled them down like there was no tomorrow. He smelt so bad, and I could barely understand a word he was saying since he didn't have any teeth. Our conversation was...weird. since he mumbled a lot, all I caught was "ACDC...Pink Floyd...America..." and that's about it haha. In the end he asked for money, but I said no, and then he wouldn't leave the area so we had to find another place to eat our food. Just so everybody knows back at home, the bums here are the same as Chicago (but with british accents).


Yesterday(Friday), we had our 2nd field trip to Dover castle (which is the picture) and a tour of the secret war tunnels. The castle was so pretty on the outside, but the inside was kind of ugly. There was so much time left over too so a group of us just chilled outside the castle and looked at the view. The view was AMAZING! I took pictures, but they don't do justice at all. So pretty. The tunnel tour was very cool too. The tunnels were basically built in the white cliffs of Dover, but we weren't allowed to take photos which sucked. I bought a book though that has photos of what I saw while on the tour so I'll have to show the pictures in there. The tunnels went on forever though. I couldn't believe it. They don't even go in other tunnels because it's not safe so there are tunnels that we weren't even able to go through.


Later Friday, we had some of the foreign neighbors come over and show them some American drinking games :). They don't really have drinking games here because they are able to drink at such a young age that it's not a big deal to play a game when you're able to go to a club/pub instead (if that makes sense). We showed them how to play beer pong and flippy cup, and they LOVED it. Some even said they like American parties better that British parties (and this was just a little get together, nothing big). Once the really drunk people left, a group of us went to this pub call Fresh. It was completely empty, so we were the only ones there. It was awesome though because we were able to chat with the manager and bartender. I think I payed for one drink and ended up getting 4-5. We'll probably be going there more often since we know the person who owns the place now.


Today we went into town again because the little market stands were up. I bought a few things for people back at home. It was so cool; by time we made our way into the center of town there were about 10 people in white "one-zies" and they were playing instruments. They were also trying to dance all crazy so it was very entertaining. I can't really describe it, but I took a video and some pictures.


Tomorrow we're planning on taking the bus to Whitstable and Sandwich just to see the sights and go to the markets on the coast.


Hope things are alright back at home. I see Bush all over the newspapers here because of the economy back home. People over here are just as worried! I really don't want to come home to a depression :(


I'll try to go online tomorrow. We still might have to wait 2-3 weeks for internet. I'm ready to choke someone. I wouldn't doubt that they get internet here a week before we leave. That would be my luck. Who cares though...I'M IN ENGLAND!

No comments: