Monday, October 27, 2008

Stonehenge and Harry Potter


This past weekend we all went on a tour of a few cities in England and made our way to Stonehenge. The first day (Saturday) was quite a let down, not only because I was hungover and felt sick all day, but also because they basically drove us around, let us off the coach for 30 min, then took us to another town to do the same thing. Our first stop was in Oxford, and that was alright. We got to stand in front of the library that they filmed some of Harry Potter where he used the invisibility cloak. We couldn't go in though because it's closed to the public all the time. We made our way to Oxford college's hall where they eat, and that's used as the great hall in Harry Potter. When we got there though, it didn't open until 1pm, and we had to be on the bus at 1pm so it really sucked.


After Oxford, we made our way through other little towns. They were pretty, but there wasn't really anything to do. I guess it was just more of a sight seeing tour of pretty places. The next day was a lot better. We went to Bath where the Roman Baths are. It was 9 pounds to get in so I didn't go in them, but it was a really pretty city. We got to see Jane Austin's home and drive around the area where Kate Winslet lives. I got a bun from this restaurante that used to be this super old house. It was SO good. I also bought this homemade cinnamon butter they make there...delicious. Then we made our way to Lacock. It was really exciting because I got to see this area where they filmed some more Harry Potter. In the first movie where Harry is holding Hedwig in the little courtyard, and it's all snowy...that's where I was. That was exciting. I can't wait to watch the movie again because I can say I was at those places!


We then made our way to Stonehenge. It really wasn't what I imagined it to be. It really is a stack of huge rocks in the middle of fields and sheep. It was cool to see it, but I think the reason that it wasn't that big for me was because no one knows what it really is. I listened to the audio tour as I made my way around it, and they were listing some myths about how it came to be the way it is, but it all just doesn't make sense. I don't know; it was nice seeing it, but it just got me upset that I really didn't know what I was looking at or why.


I'm at the library now. I'm hoping to get 2 of these big papers out of the way so I can have a blast for the rest of the time that I'm here. We're going to have a Halloween party this weekend. I don't even know what I'm going to be so I have to do a little shopping sometime this week too.


That's about it though. Miss and love you all so much!

No comments: